From the article: Top 10 Fantasy MMORPGs
There are a remarkable number of choices available to massively multiplayer online gamers compared to a few years ago, but medieval fantasy continues to be the most popular setting. In these games you create a character, don a sword or a spellbook, and venture off into a persistent online world in search of experience points. What are your favorite fantasy MMORPGs? Share Your Thoughts
- The absence of Guild Wars is a glaring oversight. Not only is it very well made, it's free to play after you buy it! Unlike other F2P games, the admins constantly work to keep bots out. I've been playing since it came out, and now that Guild Wars 2 has garnered so much attention and interest, hindsight kicks this article in the pants. (Dave replies: I don't really consider GW an MMOG. It is, however, at the top of my list of online RPGs.)
- —Guest Unrest
Aion bad taste in any 1s mouth
- tride it ...was a waste of time huge cost massive bot farmers and no suport from NPC ..korean hackers will get games easly if you do any store buying ...and weeks for acts to get straight ...tons of folks walking away ...to bad was good concpet
- —Guest Tazzhealfoot
Best MMORPG RVR DAOC
- DAOC was one of the best there was and it clearly set the stage for PVP. Many have tried to improve on the pvp but none have even come close to the full open field battles we use to have.
- —Guest Bain
- Dungeons and Dragons Online is far better than WoW in regards to gameplay. However, since it has gone free 2 play it's become a slobfest of spam, lag, and I've been playing since Beta wannabes. Sad really because after playing for three years, I now only play half as much as I once did. The idea of free 2 play sounded like a good idea at first, but like all sugar coatings, it leaves a sour aftertaste.
- —Guest Ken
- why isnt runescape in the list, it is one of the best mmorpgs out there
- —Guest jjj
Runes of Magic
- I think Runes of Magic should be in the list. It is free to play, but very very nice! A lot of people says its a WoW clone, and thats almost true, but it has also some extra things. Like a dual-class system. It is not very orginal but free! Read more about it on http://runesofmagic.com You can see more about it on
- —Guest Bart
- I disagree with this list. WoW is nice to look at but for gameplay, Age of Conan is far and away the best game on this list. Everquest 2 is not so great. Warhammer is pretty good. I've played most of these games and will vouch for AoC. The only drawback to AoC is that the environments are so massive that it can be tough to get around quickly, but there are ways to get around quickly once you figure the game out.
- —Guest Moe