Now that the Wrath of the Lich King expansion for World of Warcraft is live, many people are wondering what it has to offer and where to get started. Here are some answers for those who want to get the most out of the new content for this ever-popular MMORPG.
Can I purchase and/or download Wrath of the Lich King online?
Yes, you can now upgrade your account and download the game client on the official site.
What are the system requirements for Wrath of the Lich King?
PC System Requirements
- Windows XP (Service Pack 3), Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
- Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+
- 512 MB RAM (1 GB for Vista users)
- 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 32 MB VRAM (Such as an ATI Radeon 7200 or Nvidia GeForce 2 class card or better)
- DirectX-compatible sound card or motherboard sound capability
- Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB for Vista users)
- 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM (Such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT class card or better)
Mac System Requirements
- Mac OS X 10.4.11 or newer
- PowerPC G5 1.6 GHz or Intel Core Duo processor
- 1 GB RAM
- 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 64 MB VRAM (Such as an ATI Radeon 9600 or Nvidia GeForce Ti 4600 class card or better)
- Intel 1.8GHz processor or better
- 2 GB RAM
- 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM (Such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or Nvidia 7600 class card or better)
You need The Burning Crusade expansion as well.
What is the new level cap?
The new level cap is 80, up from 70 in The Burning Crusade. Talent trees for all classes have been extended, and professions now go up to 450.
How do I get to Northrend?
Alliance players travel to Northrend on ships that leave from Menethil Harbor and Stormwind Harbor. The Menethil ship takes you to Howling Fjord and the Stormwind ship takes you to Borean Tundra.
Horde players catch a zepplin just outside of Orgrimmar for Borean Tundra, or outside of Undercity for the Howling Fjord.
What is a Death Knight?
Death Knights are the game's first "Hero Class." You must have another character over level 55 to create a Death Knight. Rather than starting at level 1, Death Knights start at level 55. Death Knights do not replace existing characters and they are available to both factions. Unlike other classes in the game, you can only create one Death Knight per realm.
What Dungeon instances are available in Northrend?
Utgarde Keep in Howling Fjord: L69-72
The Nexus in Borean Tundra: L70-72
Azjol-Nerub in Dragonblight: L70-74
Ahn'kahet in Dragonblight: L73-76
Drak'Tharon Keep in Grizzly Hills: L74-77
The Violet Hold in Dalaran: L75-77
Gundrak in Zul'drak: L76-79
Halls of Stone in Storm Peaks: L77-79
The Oculus in Borean Tundra: L77-80
Halls of Lightning in Storm Peaks: L78-80
Utgarde Pinnacle in Howling Fjord: L78-80
Caverns of Time - Stratholme: L78-80
What Raid instances are available in Northrend?
Naxxramas in Dragonblight
Vault of Archavon in Wintergrasp
The Obsidian Sanctum in Dragonblight
The Nexus: The Eye of Eternity in Borean Tundra
Where is the city of Dalaran?
Dalaran is in the western part of Crystalsong Forest, floating in the sky.
How do I get to Dalaran?
At level 74 you will find quest givers in major Northrend towns that will send you to Dalaran for free. The only way to get there before 74 is by being ported or summoned. Mages can undertake a quest at level 71 to learn Teleport: Dalaran.
Where can I find a map of Northrend?
There's an interactive Flash map of the continent on the World of Warcraft site.
When do I get to use my flying mount in Northrend?
When you reach level 77 you can buy the cold weather flying ability in Dalaran for 1000 gold.
Are there class trainers in Northrend?
Only for Mages, who can train in Dalaran.
Where can I train my professions past 375 in Northrend?
Alliance profession trainers are in Valiance Keep (Borean Tundra), Valgarde (Howling Fjord), and Dalaran.
Horde trainers can be found in Warsong Hold (Borean Tundra), Vengeance Landing (Howling Fjord) and Dalaran.
Is there an Auction House in Northrend?
No, you have to travel back to the original cities.
Does Dalaran have city portals?
Yes, Dalaran has portals to every major city including Shattrath. There is also a portal to Caverns of Time.
What new Battlegrounds are there in the expansion?
There is one new Battleground called Strand of the Ancients. It's a 15 vs. 15 match in which the sides alternate between attacking and defending a keep.
Where can I plan my new talent build?
The talent calculator on the World of Warcraft site has updated talent trees for all the classes including Death Knight.
Have fun in Northrend!